Monday, July 21, 2014

Finally a Hobby

After unsuccessfully trying 3 years of baseball, 2 years of soccer, a season of flag football, and making a ton of suggestions such as, tennis, swim team, golf, guitar lessons, etc, we finally have a hobby! When we moved to a new town two years ago, I decided to give it a rest and just began making the suggestions. I was careful not to overwhelm our family schedule. I didn't want to be involved in too much and be too busy. That could be another post, but basically, I wasn't going to make him to something if he didn't love it. However, it bothered me that he had nothing to be excited about, set a goal to work toward, or something to spend all of that energy on!

This spring, he began showing interest in karate class, so I pulled into the first place that I had seen in town to check on the schedule and fees. It just so happened to be a Tiger Rock and I am so glad that was the one we chose. I love the level of excellence that they hold their students to, plus the community they have in the organization. He has availability to classes every day of the week except on Sundays. For the same rate! 2 days a week or 6 days a week! He had to wait a bit before he started and he was counting down the days! April 15th, he loved his first class and couldn't wait for the next!



(most of my pics are from my phone!)

After the first class, I am telling you its been on his mind 24/7. I know now how the baseball fanatic moms feel, when their boys are always wanting to practice and play ball. He is always practicing his moves or talking about it,  literally always. If he is ever around another child, he shows them moves and he is so good with the smaller ones! He has gotten my girly girl niece, Palyn wanting to take karate rather than gymnastics, haha!



Palyn was watching one of his first classes

One of his favorite things to do is send my mom a picture after he earns a new strip!

Usually with a super excited, silly face like this!

We put off getting the uniform, excuse me, it's a "gi", until his first testing. We told him that he would have to wait a bit, but surprised him with it before his first awards ceremony. He was ecstatic!


He earned his yellow belt here, however, he will soon be testing for his green!



 He walks around like he is on cloud nine when he wears his gi or his belt. Cutest thing ever, but  it's truly non stop. We have to tell him that he can only wear it for testing or awards, he would seriously wear it out if not! When we were at Palyn's birthday party with a ton of people, we looked around for Caden. He was in the doorway of the house in his gi doing moves. I died! He also loves to turn on pumped up music to do moves to!

He also was able to attend a week long camp here from 9-5 everyday. He enjoyed that as well. When we heard about the "Tiger Rock World Tournament", were going to sit it out and go and just watch. Our instructor told us that he thinks we would regret not taking part in it, if we just watched. He also said that he thought Caden would do well. So we decided to take part in it since it was in Birmingham and would prepare him for future tournaments. I was more nervous than he was! But he was amazing!


Caden and his friend ready for the tournament!


By amazing, I mean, he placed Silver in forms and Gold in one steps!

We were all so excited!

He worked hard and stayed focused! I was so proud that he finally knew what a victory was! I am mostly excited that he has determination and a goal to work toward now!

Now that you know the back story and you're caught up, Ill update more as this journey grows!
Also, thank you to all of our facebook/instagram friends and family that sent him encouragement and congrats! We appreciate you!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment